This Initiative was developed by the Industrial Areas Foundation (of which Common Good is a member) with focus on the impacts and history of relationships between the dominant society and Indigenous Peoples of the four colonized countries of our Affiliate Organizations in the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. In the long term, it is meant to eliminate systemic barriers in the current dominant structures by creating conditions that protect and expand Indigenous sovereignty and self-governance while creating racial equity for all. One part of this process is to maximize the existing capacity of Indigenous organizations to tell their own stories and become vehicles for their members to find and exercise their inherent power. At the same time we focus on creating durable relational ties between Indigenous and non-Indigenous organizations, developed at the speed of trust to form long term commitments that lead to an equitable future.
This collective work was led by a group of Indigenous Peoples worldwide.
- Please confirm that you are able to attend all of the first five sessions before registering, as each session builds on the learnings of the previous evening.
- This is a training series that seeks to center the lived experiences of Indigenous Peoples, the work that is ongoing in our communities and the emotional work that comes from this. Please be prepared to engage in this emotional labor and reflection.
- Wrestling with the Truth of Colonization is more than the training sessions listed here, it is a community organizing program. The goal is to take the learning and reflection from these sessions and turn them into long-term community organizing efforts towards upholding native sovereignty and real solidarity between Indigenous and non-Indigenous communities.
The local team:
- Has worked closely with the CSKT Séliš-Ql̓ispé Culture Committee to approve any local content we share in our training, as well as share the many resources they have compiled, written, and published about their history and this area;
- Partnered with Common Good members to provide trained small group facilitators;
- Is here to provide support to the attendee and their organization through the emotional process of going through this training.
Common Good Missoula is hosting this round of Wrestling with the Truth of Colonization and we welcome all Common Good Missoula attendees! Metro Vancouver Alliance and MACG (Portland) are also participating in the core five sessions of this round. Please notify your local organizer before registering from either Metro Vancouver Alliance or MACG. Thank you!
All registrants must participate in one Introductory Briefing before joining the main sessions.
April 24th: 5:00-5:30pm MST
April 25th: 2:00-2:30pm MST
Five Core Sessions: Tuesday and Thursday Afternoons
May: 2, 4, 9, 11
All sessions from 4:00-6:00PM MST
Dates for Follow-up sessions will be announced during the five core sessions. These dates will be different depending on the IAF NW affiliate organization you are a part of.
All sessions listed above will be held over Zoom